Re: GIN non-intrusive vacuum of posting tree

From: Vladimir Borodin <root(at)simply(dot)name>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Евгений Ефимкин <efimkin(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, amborodin(at)acm(dot)org
Subject: Re: GIN non-intrusive vacuum of posting tree
Date: 2016-11-29 07:03:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> 28 нояб. 2016 г., в 20:31, Andrew Borodin <borodin(at)octonica(dot)com> написал(а):
>
> This patch solved a problem encountered by Evgeniy Efimkin and
> Vladimir Borodin from Yandex.Mail.
>
> and eventually deleting some of data. This testbed showed VACUUM
> holding inserts for up to tenths of seconds. They claim that proposed
> patch made vacuum invisible in this test.
>
> Evgeniy, Vladimir, if I missed something or you have something to add,
> please join discussion.

Yep, in our load environment the table is not so big (~ 50 GB), GIN index size is ~ 1 GB. And under our load profile we have seen 90 seconds of impossibility to do an insert into the table because of vacuuming this index. I confirm that with this patch we now don’t see any spikes of errors as it was previously.

--
May the force be with you…
https://simply.name