Re: Python 3.1 support

From: James Pye <lists(at)jwp(dot)name>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Python 3.1 support
Date: 2009-11-13 01:42:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Nov 12, 2009, at 12:54 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Here's the patch to support Python >=3.1 with PL/Python.

:\

I was hoping to be able to use Python 3 to draw a clear distinction between plpython and the would-be "plpython3" that I've been working on. I understand that you're not in favor of a brand new implementation for Python 3. Despite my dislike for that position(well, it would seem to be in opposition to my initiative, so naturally =), I don't entirely disagree with your rationale[wrt doing things more incrementally]. For me, plpython has never been what I would call a pleasure to use, and many of the gripes that I have with it are, IMO, entrenched far enough into the implementation that any efforts to change it would(should? =) cause unacceptable breakage in user applications(?). Well, as far as additional Python interfaces are concerned, a lot of redundant functionality, but that's not even the half of it.

[I was hoping to get to a status message this weekend,
but it seems like I should follow-up here. =]

So here's where I'm at:
--
Mostly documentation improvements since I last pinged -hackers.
Still, *sigh*, filling in documentation and fighting bugs as I go.

Overview/Features:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/WIP:plpython3
Documentation:
http://python.projects.postgresql.org/pldocs/plpython3.html
git repo[see the plpython3 branch]:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=plpython3.git;a=summary

Most of the documented interfaces have tests. I only have two platforms at my disposal, so I do fear that this will not "just work" on all of PG's supported platforms. Specifically, I've ran the tests on freebsd/amd64 and Mac10.6/intel(of course 10.5 as well for some earlier revisions). [err, actually, it's been a while since I ran the tests on freebsd.]
--

plpython3 is turning out to be kinda beefy(~974K diff[eh, there is some fluff in there]), and I can't say that I've seen much interest in it, so I can't really blame anyone if -hackers ends up taking a pass on it. (python3 is too far away for most folk to care? folk are content with plpython?)

eh, cheers, either way. =)