Re: 7.3 on OS X HOWTO

From: Eric B(dot)Ridge <ebr(at)tcdi(dot)com>
To: Hunter Hillegas <lists(at)lastonepicked(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.3 on OS X HOWTO
Date: 2002-12-02 21:39:04
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-patches

On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 02:26 PM, Hunter Hillegas wrote:
> Does one exist?
>
> I know that you need readline installed, but I can't even get that to
> build
> properly...

Well, you only need readline if you want the command-editing/completion
capabilities of psql. Otherwise you can ./configure with the
--without-readline option.

> I searched the mailing list archives and didn't find anything
> meaningful.

After I installed readline (via Fink), cleaned, reconfigured, compiled,
and installed 7.3, everything worked flawlessly. Outside of the
readline issue, there was no difference than installing 7.3 on Linux.

I did notice that fink patched the readline sources it downloaded
before compiling. I have no idea what the patch was.

> I'd rather not use fink.

Fink is kinda magical, but hey, you're using a Mac. You shouldn't need
to concern yourself with details. And you surely don't need to
right-click on anything! *grin*

eric