Re: Misidentification of Python shared library

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Misidentification of Python shared library
Date: 2016-10-04 15:45:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 10/04/2016 10:43 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> In short: I propose replacing all of this logic with "if there's something
>> in $python_libdir that has the right name to be a python shared library,
>> use that, else try the same in $python_configdir, else fail". Thoughts?

> Seems reasonable.

Actually, given that we no longer support Python < 2.3, I am not sure
we need to bother with looking in $python_configdir at all.

But looking at the installations on my older Apple boxes, it seems that
*neither* $python_libdir nor $python_configdir contain any library at all;
rather libpython.dylib sits in good old /usr/lib and is found there
despite the -L switch pointing to noplace useful. So I'm now thinking
that we should do the above dance in a list of directories like
"$python_libdir /usr/lib64 /usr/lib" (too bad there's no easy
platform-independent way to find out the linker's default search path).
We can add $python_configdir to that if it proves necessary, but I'll try
it without first.