Re: Remove 1MB size limit in tsvector

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove 1MB size limit in tsvector
Date: 2017-09-11 12:51:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/11/2017 01:54 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 5:33 AM, Ildus Kurbangaliev
> <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>> Moreover, RUM index
>> stores positions + lexemes, so it doesn't need tsvectors for ranked
>> search. As a result, tsvector becomes a storage for
>> building indexes (indexable type), not something that should be used at
>> runtime. And the change of the format doesn't affect index creation
>> time.
>
> RUM indexes, though, are not in core.

Yeah, but I think Ildus has a point that this should not really matter
on indexed tsvectors. So the question is how realistic that benchmark
actually is. How likely are we to do queries on fts directly, not
through a GIN/GiST index? Particularly in performance-sensitive cases?

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com