Re: Automatic testing of patches in commit fest

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Aleksander Alekseev <a(dot)alekseev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Automatic testing of patches in commit fest
Date: 2017-09-11 12:45:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/11/2017 11:41 AM, Aleksander Alekseev wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Great job!

+1

> Here is a crazy idea. What if we write a script that would automatically
> return the patches that:
>
> 1) Are not in "Waiting on Author" status
> 2) Don't apply OR don't pass `make installcheck-world`
>
> ... to the "Waiting on Author" status and describe the problem through
> the "Add review" form on commitfest.postgresql.org? This will save a lot
> of time to the reviewers. Naturally nobody wants to spam pgsql-hackers@
> with automatic messages to often. I believe that sending such messages
> once a day would be enough.
>
> Unless there are any objections to give this idea a try I'm willing to
> write and host a corresponding script.

That won't work until (2) is reliable enough. There are patches (for
example my "multivariate MCV lists and histograms") which fails to apply
only because the tool picks the wrong patch. Possibly because it does
not recognize compressed patches, or something.

In such cases switching it to "Waiting on Author" automatically would be
damaging, as (a) there's nothing wrong with the patch, and (b) it's not
clear what to do to fix the problem.

So -1 to this for now, until we make this part smart enough.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com