Re: ClosePipeStream failure ignored in pg_import_system_collations

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ClosePipeStream failure ignored in pg_import_system_collations
Date: 2019-05-23 22:23:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I only see three invocations of ClosePipeStream in the sources.
> In two of them, the return value is checked and an error is raised
> if it failed. In the third, the error (if any) is squashed.

> I don't know if a pipe stream over "locale -a" could ever fail to
> close, but it seems sensible to log an error if it does.

The concrete case where that's an issue, I think, is that "locale -a"
fails, possibly after outputting a few locale names. The only report
we get about that is a failure indication from ClosePipeStream.
As things stand we just silently push on, creating no or a few collations.
With a check, we'd error out ... causing initdb to fail altogether.

Maybe that's an overreaction; I'm not sure. Perhaps the right
thing is just to issue a warning? But ignoring it completely
seems bad.