Re: partitioned tables and contrib/sepgsql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Mike Palmiotto <mike(dot)palmiotto(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: partitioned tables and contrib/sepgsql
Date: 2017-04-05 14:45:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2017-04-05 09:43:53 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah, I was just thinking about that. The core problem though is that
>> we need the "bool" fields in the system catalog structs (or anyplace
>> else that it represents an on-disk bool datum) to be understood as
>> being 1 byte wide. I do not think we can assume that that's true of
>> every compiler's _Bool type. So we'd need some workaround for that.
>> There are probably other places such as isnull arrays where it'd be
>> wise to force the width to be 1 byte.

> I wonder if there's any compiler that has _Bool/stdbool.h where it's not
> 1 byte sized. It's definitely not guaranteed by the standard.

Hm. I'd supposed that it'd be pretty common to make _Bool be int-sized.

If it is char-sized almost everywhere, we could create a policy of
using stdbool.h unless configure sees that _Bool is not char-sized.
OTOH, that doesn't improve our existing situation that we have
platform-dependent semantics around "bool" (eg, what happens when
a non-char-sized value is assigned). It would just change which
one is the majority case, and not in a very safe direction :-(

>> In any case, that's a research project that's not getting done for v10.

> Agreed.

Yeah, it's off-topic for right now.