Re: Rewriting the test of pg_upgrade as a TAP test

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Rewriting the test of pg_upgrade as a TAP test
Date: 2017-04-05 14:45:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2017-04-05 10:40:41 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> writes:
> > > I believe that what Peter was getting at is that the pg_dump TAP tests
> > > create a whole slew of objects in just a few seconds and are able to
> > > then exercise those code-paths in pg_dump, without needing to run the
> > > entire serial regression test run.
> >
> > Right. But there's a certain amount of serendipity involved in using the
> > core regression tests' final results. For example, I don't know how long
> > it would've taken us to understand the problems around dumping and
> > reloading child tables with inconsistent column orders, had there not been
> > examples of that in the regression tests. I worry that creating a sterile
> > set of objects for testing pg_dump will leave blind spots, because it will
> > mean that we only test cases that we explicitly created test cases for.
>
> We don't need to only create sterile sets of objects in the pg_dump TAP
> tests.

I really, really don't understand why we're conflating making pg_upgrade
tests less fragile / duplicative with changing what we use to test it.
This seems to have the sole result that we're not going to get anywhere.

> I don't believe we need to populate GIN indexes or vacuum them
> to test pg_dump/pg_upgrade either (at least, not if we're going to stick
> to the pg_upgrade test basically being if pg_dump returns the same
> results before-and-after).

I think we *should* have populated GIN indexes. Yes, the coverage isn't
perfect, but the VACUUM definitely gives a decent amount of coverage
whether the gin index looks halfway sane after the upgrade.

Greetings,

Andres Freund