Re: Open items

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open items
Date: 2005-06-26 13:29:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> On Saturday 25 June 2005 23:24, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Here are the open items. Feature freeze is Friday, July 1.

> Where does the rest of the "contrib roundup" fit into this picture?

I think that moving rtree_gist, reindexdb, and/or userlock into core
would have to happen before feature freeze, but the other items
remaining on the to-do list are simply removal of modules, and as such
not bound by feature freeze. Besides, we've always been laxer about the
rules for contrib than for the core system.

> On a somewhat relative note, I was looking at fulltextindex earlier
> this week, and had thoughts to move it to pgfoundry along with some
> documentation from techdocs. However after discussing with ChrisKL, we
> both seem to reach a conclusion that really that is deprecated code
> and should be deprecated in favor of tsearch2. That being the case
> does anyone think we should still move it?

It's certainly deprecated in favor of tsearch2 as far as the actual
functionality goes. I think that Josh had suggested preserving it
on pgfoundry more as an example of a nontrivial trigger function.
I wouldn't cry if we just dropped it though.