Re: pg_regress breaks on msys

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_regress breaks on msys
Date: 2006-07-19 16:27:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> This error message seems pretty thoroughly unhelpful though. Any ideas
>> what it's unhappy about?

> I think we need to change the pg_regress error messages so that it
> includes the command string that failed, at least for now.

Done, but I bet it doesn't tell us anything we don't know already.

> It will be either quoting problem or a vitual path problem, I am pretty
> sure. The old shell script ran in a bourne-shell-like manner. But
> calling system() from a C program will call the Windows command shell,
> where the quoting rules are quite different.

In src/include/port.h we have

/*
* Win32 needs double quotes at the beginning and end of system()
* strings. If not, it gets confused with multiple quoted strings.
* It also requires double-quotes around the executable name and
* any files used for redirection. Other args can use single-quotes.
*
* See the "Notes" section about quotes at:
* http://home.earthlink.net/~rlively/MANUALS/COMMANDS/C/CMD.HTM
*/

The referenced link seems to be dead :-( but AFAICS the pg_regress code
is following the stated rules. Also, how is it getting past the "make
install" step which is quoting things just the same? Puzzling.