Re: PostgreSQL and Patents: no position against ?

From: Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and Patents: no position against ?
Date: 2005-03-10 13:38:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:26:52 +0100, Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul(at)argudo(dot)org>
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you may all know already, Patents in Europe have been voted irregularly, in
> total violation of European Laws, by the European Council (more info :
> http://wiki.ffii.org/Cons050307En).
>
> I'm really surprised PostgreSQL doesn't say clearly we are (most of us I hope),
> against patents, on the website for example.

I think there should be a campaing banner or at least a link. As far
as I know only patent lawyers really benefit from patents (in case of
land of ideas, algorithms, etc). PostgreSQL AFAIK doesn't hold any
patents, it is patents that hold PostgreSQL's development (the ARC
patent case, "unability" to use patents "freed" by IBM, etc.).

In my humble opinion -- we should put the banner or link unless there
is any sane reason not to.

Regards,
Dawid