PostgreSQL and Patents: no position against ?

From: Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul(at)argudo(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL and Patents: no position against ?
Date: 2005-03-10 13:26:52
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi all,

As you may all know already, Patents in Europe have been voted irregularly, in
total violation of European Laws, by the European Council (more info :
http://wiki.ffii.org/Cons050307En).

I'm really surprised PostgreSQL doesn't say clearly we are (most of us I hope),
against patents, on the website for example.

We just said it, thru PGWN (see
http://search.postgresql.org/www.search?ul=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.postgresql.org%2F%25&cs=utf-8&fm=on&st=&gr=on&o=0&ps=20&s=rate&q=patents&submit=Search).
I really regret that, I would prefer we say "NO PATENTS" clearly.

I know PG is not a political movement, it hasn't to be one. But will we stay and
wait the "final headshot", or just stand up and say "we are against patents"?

For example, the Samba project is in all points similar to ours. There's no
company around, etc.

Look on their website (http://www.Samba.org), you'll see the banner I'd like our
website to wear too.

I hope you'll understand me.