Re: How many secondary databases can I create?

From: Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How many secondary databases can I create?
Date: 2004-11-13 20:42:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 17:20:59 +0100, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle(at)freenet(dot)de> wrote:
> Please note, that I do not run seperatly databases.
> I like only to split it per $USER physicaly from the main database.
>
> I like to have this setup for my new Virtual-Webserver where I have
> for each VHost a local $USER.

Some time ago I talked with a friend working at some ISP, and we were
talking about PostgreSQL's superiority to hmm, other RDBMSs... ;)
Blah, blah, blah. The question is - how to give many many users
access to PostgreSQL... I see three approaches, and all of these
have pros and cons.

1) One pgsql per user -- in other words each user runs its own copy of
pgsql -- waste of memory (each user having its own shared mem, etc),
but can enforce quota limits, etc. Hard to keep all those copies of
pgsql running.

2) one pgsql database per user. Probably most common. :) Each user
has full pgsql database at her disposal. It's a bit hard to manage quotas,
dbsize comes in handy but it involeves creating some sort of "quota
enforcing" daemon...

3) one pgsql database with one schema per user. Interesting, can very
easily create many "databases", does not give full pgsql power, harder
to manage quotas than previous model...

Hmm, I wonder what are the feelings of people using such models.
I did not use them, so I have no idea. And I wonder how problematic
is "quota enforcement" there....

Regards.
Dawid