Re: VM-Ware Backup of VM safe?

From: Moreno Andreo <moreno(dot)andreo(at)evolu-s(dot)it>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: VM-Ware Backup of VM safe?
Date: 2017-09-20 12:59:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Il 20/09/2017 13:36, PT ha scritto:
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:03:15 +0200
> Thomas Güttler <guettliml(at)thomas-guettler(dot)de> wrote:
>
>> We run a PostgreSQL 9.6 server in a virtual machine.
>>
>> The virtual machine is managed by the customer.
>>
>> He does backup the VM.
>>
>> Is this enough, is this safe?
> There are so many variables involved with doing that ... I don't think
> anyone can reliably answer that question.
>
> I recommend you put together a periodic test schedule where you restore
> a machine from the backup and ensure everything works. To be honest, you
> should be doing that anyway.

In addition, can you afford to lose data? You take a snapshot, say,
nightly at 3am, if you have an incident at 6pm and nothing is
recoverable, you need to recover from backup and doing so you lose 15
hours of data updates. If you can't afford that, then you should
implement something like WAL shipping (with tools like barman) that,
given a backup made via pg_basebackup(), it's able to rewind all WAL
files and bring you in the last state (that's Point-In-Time Recovery
feature).