Re: VM-Ware Backup of VM safe?

From: PT <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
To: Thomas Güttler <guettliml(at)thomas-guettler(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: VM-Ware Backup of VM safe?
Date: 2017-09-20 11:36:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:03:15 +0200
Thomas Güttler <guettliml(at)thomas-guettler(dot)de> wrote:

> We run a PostgreSQL 9.6 server in a virtual machine.
>
> The virtual machine is managed by the customer.
>
> He does backup the VM.
>
> Is this enough, is this safe?

There are so many variables involved with doing that ... I don't think
anyone can reliably answer that question.

I recommend you put together a periodic test schedule where you restore
a machine from the backup and ensure everything works. To be honest, you
should be doing that anyway.

--
PT <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>