Re: Review: Patch: Allow substring/replace() to get/set bit values

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it
Subject: Re: Review: Patch: Allow substring/replace() to get/set bit values
Date: 2010-01-25 21:00:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Leonardo F wrote:
>> New version of the patch, let me know if I can fix/change something
>> else.

> All issues addressed, with one tiny nit-pick -- the get_bit and
> set_bit methods are not part of the SQL standard. I took the liberty
> of removing "SQL-standard" from the documentation of these functions
> so that I can mark this "Ready for Committer".

Applied with some further editorialization. When I looked at how
OVERLAY(text) was implemented, I didn't like it at all, so I took the
liberty of transforming it to C code and then duplicating that
implementation for bit and bytea. I doubt this would make any
performance difference in simple cases, but it will have less surprise
factor.