Re: scram and \password

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: scram and \password
Date: 2017-03-14 03:34:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 11:47 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Seems to me the intended behavior of \password is to use the best
>> available practice. So my guess is that it ought to use SCRAM when
>> talking to a >= 10.0 server. What the previous password was ought
>> to be irrelevant, even if it could find that out which it shouldn't
>> be able to IMO.

> And in a release or two? SCRAM being a fresh feature, switching the
> hashing now is not much a conservative approach.

If some other practice becomes better in v12, then we teach it about that
one. It's not like psql hasn't got many other server-version-dependent
behaviors.

Alternatively, if what you mean by that is you don't trust SCRAM at all,
maybe we'd better revert the feature as not being ready for prime time.