Very slow searching in a table with more than 10 millions recovered records from a backup file...

From: zxo102 ouyang <zxo102(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Very slow searching in a table with more than 10 millions recovered records from a backup file...
Date: 2009-06-12 08:56:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi there,
I have an application with a database (pgsql) which has a big table (>
10 millions records) in windows 2003. Some times, I need to install the new
version of the application. Here is what I did: 1. back up the big table
via pgadmin III, 2. stop the pgsql in the old version of the application,
3. install the new version of the application (pgsql is included and all
tables keep same like before) and 4. recovering the data(> 10 millions
records) into the table from the backup file.
After I restart the application, searching the table becomes very very
slow (much slower than the searching in the old version). I don't know what
is wrong with it. pgsql needs time to "reindexing" those 10 millions records
for the searching?

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

ouyang