Re: ERROR: unexpected data beyond EOF in block XXXXX of relation "file"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: austijc <jaustin(at)jasononthe(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: unexpected data beyond EOF in block XXXXX of relation "file"
Date: 2008-09-26 03:31:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

austijc <jaustin(at)jasononthe(dot)net> writes:
> The question is can anyone more familiar with this tell me what's going on
> here? I don't know if this is a Postgres, Sun, or NetApp issue. Could it
> be a work around for an old Linux bug causing an issue with acceptable
> behavior of the NetApp device?

People who try to run databases over NFS usually regret it eventually ;-)

All I can say is that this error message has never before been reported
by anyone who wasn't exposed to that lseek-inconsistency kernel bug.
I am not finding it too hard to believe that NFS might be vulnerable to
similar misbehavior.