New Edition of Date/Darwen's The Third Manifesto

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: New Edition of Date/Darwen's The Third Manifesto
Date: 2006-01-31 06:37:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Thought people might like to know that the third edition of "The
Third Manifesto" by CJ Date and Hugh Darwen is going to be released
in February. It's been retitled "Databases, Types and the Relational
Model: The Third Manifesto". Good stuff on relational theory by two
former IBM employees who have worked on a variety of DBMS
implementations.

Available from the publisher [Addision-Wesley], [Amazon], and
[DealsDealsDeals] (which has an 11% discount), and others as well,
I'm sure.

This is definitely not a how-to-use-SQL-type text or an explanation
of database architecture. For those who are interested in a deeper
understanding of relational theory and the logical aspects of
database management servers, it should be very good. I have the
second edition ("Foundation for Future Database Systems: The Third
Manifesto") and have found it very stimulating. I'm looking forward
to this one as well.

For more information on The Third Manifesto and the ideas of Date and
Darwen, you can take a look at their [website] as well. They've
recently started a mailing list as well.

For the record, I'm not affiliated with any of these vendors or the
authors. I like their work and just want to let people know that a
new edition is coming up.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

[Addison-Wesley](http://www.aw-bc.com/catalog/academic/product/
0,1144,0321399420,00.html)
[Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321399420/
ref=sr_11_1/103-2170332-6583000?%5Fencoding=UTF8)
[DealsDealsDeals](http://www.dealsdealsdeals.com/itemdetail.cfm?
sku=0321399420)
[website](http://www.thethirdmanifesto.com/)