Adjacency Lists vs Nested Sets

From: Matthew Hixson <hixson(at)poindextrose(dot)org>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Adjacency Lists vs Nested Sets
Date: 2007-07-10 18:22:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Does Postgres have any native support for hierarchical data storage?
I'm familiar with the Adjacency List technique, but am trying to
determine whether or not Nested Sets would make sense for our
application or not. I understand that Nested Sets might be better
for high read applications, but write heavy applications suffer from
poor performance.
Any thoughts on the topic?
-M@