Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?

From: Mario Guenterberg <mg(at)havelsoft(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres 8.2 binary for ubuntu 6.10?
Date: 2007-07-10 18:21:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:50:39AM -0700, novnov wrote:

> Thanks all of you. It does seem like the backport is the way to go.
>
> So now I have 8.2 and some new postgres/linux newb questions.
>
> I can safely remove 8.1 after moving data using synaptic, ie 8.2 shouldn't
> be dependent on 8.1 at all?
>
> I don't understand how postgres is installed with these package managers.
> The windows installer asks me for the superuser name (postgres is the
> default) and I provide a password. There is an option to run as a service,
> and a windows user acct can be created for that. After the synaptic install,
> postgres seems to be running as a service. I see a postgres user account is
> created 'postgres' but don't know what the password is?
>
> Finally, I've never been able to get pgadmin to work on linux. I can't
> connect, probably because the password is unknown, but another question is
> the host address, is localhost is ok?

Show the doc in /usr/share/doc/postgresql* for details.
If pgadmin runs on the same machine then localhost is your choice.
Don't forget to edit the pg_hda.conf under your data-dir (ex.
/var/lib/pgsql or so).

Greetings
Mario

| havelsoft.com - Ihr Service Partner für Open Source |
| Tel: 033876-21 966 |
| Notruf: 0173-277 33 60 |
| http://www.havelsoft.com |
| |