RE: libpq debug log

From: "Iwata, Aya" <iwata(dot)aya(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Peter Eisentraut' <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'Yugo Nagata'" <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: RE: libpq debug log
Date: 2018-09-26 01:24:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Sorry for my late response.

> Between perf/systemtap/dtrace and wireshark, you can already do pretty much
> all of that. Have you looked at those and found anything missing?

These commands provide detailed information to us.
However, I think the trace log is necessary from the following point.

1. ease of use for users
It is necessary to take information that is easy to understand for database users.
This trace log is retrieved on the application server side.
Not only the database developer but also application developer will get and check this log.
Also, some of these commands return detailed PostgreSQL function names.
The trace log would be useful for users who do not know the inside of PostgreSQL (e.g. application developers)

2. obtain the same information on all OS
Some commands depend on the OS.
I think that it is important that the trace log information is compatible to each OS.

Regards,
Aya Iwata