Re: Standards URL's

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Standards URL's
Date: 2001-01-19 05:14:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Here are the URL's for the SQL standards. Where should these go? Are
> they legal?

> http://www.ansi.org
> http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~shadow/sql/sql1992.txt
> ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/standards/sql
> ftp://jerry.ece.umassd.edu/isowg3/x3h2/Standards/

> ANSI PDF $20
> ISO PDF $310

The document at CMU is a draft version of SQL92, which is legal to
distribute free AFAIK (at least that's been ISO's practice with other
draft standards). The documents at DEC are some intermediate version
that is probably best ignored. The documents at umassd are SQL99, and
not marked as drafts; if they are final text then they might well be
considered pirate copies by ISO. But more likely they are late drafts.

Of course, ANSI will be happy to sell you a certifiably legal copy.

What I want to know is what's the difference between the "ANSI" and
"ISO" PDF versions that ANSI sells, other than a factor of 15 in price?
I sent an email inquiry about that to ANSI a month ago, and have not
gotten an answer. Anyone know?