Re: WAL Archiving frequency

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brendan Duddridge <brendan(at)clickspace(dot)com>
Cc: Postgresql-General General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL Archiving frequency
Date: 2006-04-01 03:47:53
Lists: pgsql-general

Brendan Duddridge <brendan(at)clickspace(dot)com> writes:
> I've noticed that it's archiving the 16 MB wal files about once every
> minute. Is this normal? There's a huge number of files in my
> wal_archives directory now.
> Is there a parameter to tell it not to archive so frequently? Or is
> this nothing to be too concerned about?

If you've got a reasonably active database, 16MB/minute is not an
unlikely rate of WAL generation. You can probably slow it down a bit by
increasing the checkpoint-spacing parameters, but you can't just say
"don't generate so much WAL please". Either you want a log or you don't.

Basically, you have to take base backups often enough that the total
number of WAL archive files needed stays under your threshold of pain...