crashes due to setting max_parallel_workers=0

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: crashes due to setting max_parallel_workers=0
Date: 2017-03-25 02:10:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

while working on a patch I ran into some crashes that seem to be caused
by inconsistent handling of max_parallel_workers - queries still seem to
be planned with parallel plans enabled, but then crash at execution.

The attached script reproduces the issue on a simple query, causing
crashed in GatherMerge, but I assume the issue is more general.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
crash-parallel.sql application/sql 537 bytes