Re: BUG #15044: materialized views incompatibility with logical replication in postgres 10

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Chad Trabant <chad(at)iris(dot)washington(dot)edu>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15044: materialized views incompatibility with logical replication in postgres 10
Date: 2018-02-18 03:43:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

On 2/5/18 10:33, Petr Jelinek wrote:
>> Exactly.  The matview does not show up in pg_publication_tables but it's
>> registered at some level.
>
> Indeed this is a bug. For normal publications we take care of this when
> adding the relation to the publication but since ALL TABLES publications
> don't check for membership we have to filter this directly in the output
> plugin.

I think the filtering in pgoutput ought to make use of
is_publishable_class() in some way. That takes care of non-tables such
as materialized views, but it also filters out the information_schema
tables for example. Right now, if you insert something into one of the
IS tables, it gets shipped over the wire but is then dropped by the
apply because there is no pg_subscription_rel entry of the table. That
doesn't quite have the user-visible effect as this bug, but it's bogus
nonetheless.

So I propose this alternative patch that covers all these cases.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Fix-filtering-of-unsupported-relations-in-pgoutput.patch text/plain 2.0 KB