Re: RAISE INFO and client_min_messages

From: Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RAISE INFO and client_min_messages
Date: 2017-03-23 15:55:07
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 23.03.2017 17:39, Tom Lane wrote:
> Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
>> When working with RAISE statement in PL/pgSQL, I found a strange
>> situation with client_min_messages.
>> According to the documentation, client_min_messages does not include the
>> value 'INFO'.
> Indeed. INFO messages cannot be suppressed by client_min_messages.
> The reason is that they are emitted by commands like VACUUM VERBOSE,
> where (presumably) the entire reason the user said VERBOSE is that
> she wanted to see those messages.

Now, the reason for such behavior is clear.

As for me, adding one sentence to the end of current description for
client_min_messages will make sence:

Controls which message levels are sent to the client. Valid values are
DEBUG5, DEBUG4, DEBUG3, DEBUG2, DEBUG1, LOG, NOTICE, WARNING, ERROR,
FATAL, and PANIC. Each level includes all the levels that follow it. The
later the level, the fewer messages are sent. The default is NOTICE.
Note that LOG has a different rank here than in log_min_messages. Also,
messages with INFO level are sent to the client with any value of this
parameter.

-----
Pavel Luzanov
The Russian Postgres Company