Re: RAISE INFO and client_min_messages

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RAISE INFO and client_min_messages
Date: 2017-03-23 14:39:08
Lists: pgsql-docs

Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
> When working with RAISE statement in PL/pgSQL, I found a strange
> situation with client_min_messages.

> According to the documentation, client_min_messages does not include the
> value 'INFO'.

Indeed. INFO messages cannot be suppressed by client_min_messages.
The reason is that they are emitted by commands like VACUUM VERBOSE,
where (presumably) the entire reason the user said VERBOSE is that
she wanted to see those messages.

I do not recommend using INFO in "RAISE" except in cases similar
to that one.