Re: ANALYZE command progress checker

From: vinayak <Pokale_Vinayak_q3(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ANALYZE command progress checker
Date: 2017-03-21 04:41:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Ashutosh,

On 2017/03/19 17:56, Ashutosh Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I didn't find any major issues with the patch. It works as expected.
> However, I have few minor comments that I would like to share,
>
> + <entry>
> + Total number of sample rows. The sample it reads is taken randomly.
> + Its size depends on the <varname>default_statistics_target</>
> parameter value.
> + </entry>
>
> 1) I think it would be better if you could specify reference link to
> the guc variable 'default_statistics_target'. Something like this,
>
> <xref linkend='guc-default-statistics-target'>.
>
> If you go through monitoring.sgml, you would find that there is
> reference link to all guc variables being used.
+1. Updated in the attached patch.

> 2) I feel that the 'computing_statistics' phase could have been
> splitted into 'computing_column_stats', 'computing_index_stats'....
> Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Initially I have spitted this phase as 'computing heap stats' and
'computing index stats' but
I agreed with Roberts suggestion to merge two phases into one as
'computing statistics'.
> + certain commands during command execution. Currently, the command
> + which supports progress reporting is <command>VACUUM</> and
> <command>ANALYZE</>. This may be
> expanded in the future.
>
> 3) I think above needs to be rephrased. Something like...Currently,
> the supported progress reporting commands are 'VACUUM' and
> 'ANALYZE'.
+1. Updated in the attached patch.
> Moreover, I also ran your patch on Windows platform and didn't find
> any issues. Thanks.
Thank you for testing the patch on Windows platform.

Regards,
Vinayak Pokale
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_stat_progress_analyze_v4.patch binary/octet-stream 10.7 KB