Re: Add pre-existing tablespace to new installation

From: Stuart Bishop <stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net>
To: Roland Hughes <roland(at)logikalsolutions(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add pre-existing tablespace to new installation
Date: 2009-06-09 11:15:08
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Roland
Hughes<roland(at)logikalsolutions(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have had a question for some time and cannot seem to find an answer.
>
> Is there a way to add pre-existing tablespace to a fresh Postgres install?
>
> Typically I create tablespace on some TB drives and place all databases
> there. The default OpenSuSE 64-bit and Ubuntu 64-bit installations have
> Postgres looking at the root drive. I don't have a problem with that, but do
> want the ability to add tablespace (including all of its stored data) which
> was already in existence prior to the re-install/new-install.
>
> I can do this with commercial products like RDB on OpenVMS.
>
> I'm trying to avoid the pain of unload/recreate/reload when upgrading OS
> versions. In many cases, they don't even change the Postgres version.
> Unloading multiple TB of binary data to text then reloading is a major
> tactical problem.

The standard Ubuntu packages don't recreate your database on minor
database upgrades - everything should be the same after the upgrade
except you are running a less buggy version of PostgreSQL.

Major upgrades (8.2 -> 8.3, 8.3 -> 8.4) require a full dump & reload
on all platforms or using 3rd party replication tools like Slony-I.

I have no idea about OpenSuSE's packages.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart(at)stuartbishop(dot)net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/