Add pre-existing tablespace to new installation

From: Roland Hughes <roland(at)logikalsolutions(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Add pre-existing tablespace to new installation
Date: 2009-06-08 17:23:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I have had a question for some time and cannot seem to find an answer.

Is there a way to add pre-existing tablespace to a fresh Postgres install?

Typically I create tablespace on some TB drives and place all databases there.
The default OpenSuSE 64-bit and Ubuntu 64-bit installations have Postgres
looking at the root drive. I don't have a problem with that, but do want the
ability to add tablespace (including all of its stored data) which was already
in existence prior to the re-install/new-install.

I can do this with commercial products like RDB on OpenVMS.

I'm trying to avoid the pain of unload/recreate/reload when upgrading OS
versions. In many cases, they don't even change the Postgres version.
Unloading multiple TB of binary data to text then reloading is a major
tactical problem.
--
Roland Hughes
President