Re: regarding functions and storedprocedures

From: Vibhor Kumar <vibhor(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: siva kiran balijepalli <b(dot)sivakiran(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: regarding functions and storedprocedures
Date: 2011-03-11 08:39:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mar 11, 2011, at 10:38 AM, siva kiran balijepalli wrote:

> If there is no difference between functions and stored procedures, my doubt i show does the server know whether we are writing a function or stored procedure. As per my knowledge in oracle a function must return a value where as stored procedure cannot. IS this also true in postgresql. If yes how can we acheive it?

As I have already mentioned, PG Only Support Functions and whatever you want to implement/acheive you can do with Functions too.
About returning novalue from Function, you can write a function which will not return any value (return VOID).
Following is an link which you can use for information on Functions.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createfunction.html

Thanks & Regards,
Vibhor Kumar
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
vibhor(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Blog:http://vibhork.blogspot.com