Re: regarding functions and storedprocedures

From: Chetan Suttraway <chetan(dot)suttraway(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: siva kiran balijepalli <b(dot)sivakiran(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, Vibhor Kumar <vibhor(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: regarding functions and storedprocedures
Date: 2011-03-14 06:21:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Vibhor Kumar <vibhor(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
> wrote:

> On Mar 11, 2011, at 10:38 AM, siva kiran balijepalli wrote:
>
> > If there is no difference between functions and stored
> procedures, my doubt i show does the server know whether we are writing a
> function or stored procedure. As per my knowledge in oracle a function must
> return a value where as stored procedure cannot. IS this also true in
> postgresql. If yes how can we acheive it?
>

> As I have already mentioned, PG Only Support Functions and whatever you
> want to implement/acheive you can do with Functions too.
> About returning novalue from Function, you can write a function which will
> not return any value (return VOID).
> Following is an link which you can use for information on Functions.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createfunction.html
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Vibhor Kumar
> EnterpriseDB Corporation
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
> vibhor(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
> Blog:http://vibhork.blogspot.com
>

> --

Do check below link:
http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/15-Stored-Procedures-in-PostgreSQL.html

--
Chetan Sutrave
Senior Software Engineer
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
Phone: +91.20.30589523

Website: www.enterprisedb.com
EnterpriseDB Blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb

This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message contains
information from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be privileged,
confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not
the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the intended
recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.