Re: Updated macOS start scripts

From: Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Updated macOS start scripts
Date: 2017-11-15 18:13:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Nov 15, 2017, at 8:32 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
> The stuff in contrib/start-scripts/osx/ does not, as far as I know,
> work at all on any recent release of macOS, because SystemStarter
> is long gone. I propose replacing it with the attached, which
> I've tested on current-vintage Macs.

I tested the presence of SystemStarter, which the old implementation
uses, and launchd and launchctl, which your new implementation uses,
on a couple of my mac laptops:

OS X 10.11.6
SystemStarter - not installed
launchd - installed
launchctl - installed

OS X 10.6.8
SystemStarter - installed
launchd - installed
launchctl - installed

According to Wikipedia:

"SystemStarter appears to have been removed from OS X 10.10 and later (reference needed)."

and

"In Mac OS X v10.4, it was deprecated in favor of launchd"

Overall, I think supporting 10.10 and greater is more relevant than continuing
to support 10.4 and earlier, though I suppose someone could argue for
keeping both in side-by-side files with the README directing users which to
use for whichever version of OS X they happen to be running. It's of no
consequence to me, since my oldest mac is running 10.6.8, but somebody
from the museum of old macs might feel differently.

mark