Re: [SUGGESTION] CVSync

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, "Joel Miller" <joelwmiller(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, "PostgreSQL Hackers List" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SUGGESTION] CVSync
Date: 2006-03-26 10:59:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> writes:
> >> Is there any reason why we don't allow rsync access to the
> cvs repo?
> >
> > That'd be Marc's bailiwick not mine ... but rsync from the anoncvs
> > mirror seems like it couldn't pose any serious security threat.
> > Marc?
>
> I can't think of any reason *not* to .. if someone can, I can
> easily disable, but for now ...
>
> /usr/local/bin/rsync -avzCH --delete
> anoncvs.postgresql.org::pgsql-cvs .

Slightly after this was enabled, all the bittorrent stuff started
falling over on svr4. This has been seen before when the load has
approached a certain level on svr4 - which appears to be severly
overloaded much of time (still on unionfs, I beleive).

Could you please do some monitoring and see if this could be related to
the rsync stuff (I beleive you need to be on the host and not the VM to
do that easily). It seems that it shouldn't be that much load (yet), but
the timing was suspiciously close.

//Magnus