Re: Web application development on Win32, deployment on Linux

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Joe Abbate" <jma(at)freedomcircle(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Web application development on Win32, deployment on Linux
Date: 2005-06-27 11:59:42
Lists: pgsql-general

> I currently maintain a website which is deployed on LAMP, but
> it is developed on Windows (WAMP?). I'm considering moving
> both to use PostgreSQL. I'm curious as to whether others are
> following a similar development/deployment model and if so,
> what pitfalls/gotchas they have found. For example, I
> refresh production tables on a weekly basis from the
> development database. Linux MySQL is case-sensitive about
> table names but Windows isn't, so I have to modify table
> names like 'whatsnew' on Windows to 'WhatsNew' before I can
> run the reload script on Linux.

There should be no such differences on PostgreSQL. The one major pitfall
there is that UNICODE encoding is not fully supported on Win32. Yuo can
use ut, but things like sorting and upper/lower does not work.

[snip replication - can't answer that]

> Another concern about the move to Postgres is that the
> website's current Search capability is based on MySQL's
> full-text search functionality [SELECT ... WHERE MATCH (...)
> AGAINST (... IN BOOLEAN MODE)] . PostgreSQL doesn't appear
> to have something resembling that. I'm curious as to
> third-party solutions or development plans.

Take a look at tsearch2, it's in /contrib/. It can fulfill most
full-text search needs - it certainly solved all mine.
You'll have a different syntax, of course, but you can get the system
working.

//Magnus