Re: automating backup ?

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Zlatko Matic <zlatko(dot)matic1(at)sb(dot)t-com(dot)hr>
Subject: Re: automating backup ?
Date: 2005-06-27 10:43:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Zlatko Matic schrieb:

> Thanks Fuhr.
> Anybody can tell me how to do it on Windows XP ?
> Thanks.

That's again a pure Windows issue, but not commonly needed.
I guess, it should be in the Windows PG-FAQ, too.

I'll describe the way you go with Windows 2000.
If you are lucky WinXP Pro does it the same way and if you have only
WinXP Home you might be lucky if you have the needed timer-service at
all. Please try it and come back to the list and tell us what you did
and if it solved your problem.

First you write a text file, that contains all commands you want to get
executed.
All those which you would otherwise type yourself on the command line.
Call this file zlatko_backup.bat just that it has a unique name.

In Windows' start menue you find "programs".
There is a subfolder where I don't know the English name, but it holds
among other things the calculator and a systemprograms-folder.
In this Systemprograms-folder you should find "planned tasks" as a folder.
Open the "planned tasks" folder. It is empty.
Right click in it and select "new" --> "planned task".
Select it and you will get an settings menue of a task where you can
define what program should run when.
Enter here the path to zlatko_backup.bat.

Provided Window's planned-tasks-service runs all is set now.