Re: Playing with new design

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Alexey Borzov" <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Playing with new design
Date: 2004-10-13 13:56:29
Lists: pgsql-www

> Hi,
>
> I uploaded the new templates to http://alexey.beta.postgresql.org/
>
> The changes
> 1) Elephant head in logo is bigger, "PostgreSQL" is written
> in one color;
> 2) Bigger page font (the previous one was to small for my tastes);
> 3) Headings hued red to make them stand out a bit;
> 4) Changed news and events list output.
>
> I didn't yet commit the changes, please tell me whether I should.

I think it looks good. It certainly looks a lot better than
wwwdevel.postgresql.org, but I think that one has broken link(s) to
stylesheets ATM.

A few smallish things I've noticed (not with this change in particular,
more in general about the new site):

*) It should be 'the worlds most advanced open source database', right?
(the 'the' is missing) (top of the page)

*) Would it be possible to add a "Home" item to the menubar. I know you
can click the logo to get there, but you'd be surprised to see how many
users wouldn't even think of trying that.

*) Is the "About" tab perhaps misnamed? The content looks more like
"Overview" or "General info" or something? There is a lot of good stuff
under there that I wouldn't expectu nder "About", and there's probably
more stuff scheduled to go there?

*) It would be nice to have a RSS tag so make it show up for live
bookmarks in Firefox (<link rel="alternate" title="postgresql news"
href="/news.rss" type="application/rss+xml"> tag in <head> if you didn't
already know about it)

Since I haven't said it earlier, let me repeat that I think the new site
design looks really good. Certainly a great step forward :-)

//Magnus