Re: win32 version info - try 2

From: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "PostgreSQL-patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <gavinmroy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: win32 version info - try 2
Date: 2004-07-31 22:25:55
Lists: pgsql-patches

>> It's platform specific, therefor it should go in port/.
>
>The criterion for port/ is not whether something is
>platform-specific.
>It's whether it's a module that helps porting source code. Which this
>is not. Maybe we should add a new directory that contains icons and
>other random auxiliary files such as .desktop files for Linux desktops.

Sure, that works for me. It's a simple path change in
Makefile.global.in. So whatever works for you guys.

>> Is it the concept of non-sourcecode, or is it the fact that it's
>> actually binary that is the issue? E.g. will it help if we for
>> example uuencoded it and then just uudecode:ed it in a build rule?
>
>The problem isn't so much binary files vs. CVS, although that is an
>annoyance to take into account. The issue is that we need to have the
>source code for all files that we distribute, where source code is the
>preferred form for modification. This is a legal issue, a
>philosophical issue, and a practical issue. If you say the icon is
>created by hand, then that's OK, although up to now I've created all
>icons programmatically from, say, a PNG or SVG source.

Well, what I did was, as I wrote in my original mail, download it from
http://pgsql.gavinroy.com/art/. AFAIK the "original source" of it is a
.ai file, though.
I'll have to ask Gavin about how the file was actually created, it if
twas done manually or through an automatable process. Gavin - hopefully
you can say something on how it's done? Thanks.

//Magnus