Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?

From: Elmar(dot)Haneke(at)gmx(dot)de
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission critical applications?
Date: 1999-11-24 09:47:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > 6) It does not scale up to multi processor/multi threading very well (As I
> > understand it).
>
> I don't understand this area too well either, but is there *anything*
> below $10000 that scales to multiprocessors well?

The only real "deficit" of PostgreSQL in comparison to the "big
Servers" is, that it cannot utilize multiple CPU or disks to process
an single query faster. Servers as Informix or Oracle can split an
single SQL-statement to multiple Jobs done in parallel. PostgreSQL can
only process queries on different connections in parallel. I don't
know if there are any problems with SMP capability but I'm sure that
these should be solvable.

If someone really needs an DBMS capable of splitting single queries to
multiple CPU PostgreSQL is no choice - I don't think that this might
change in the future since there is not much need for such an
extension.

Elmar