Referencial integrity - Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission criti calapplications?

From: Andrzej Mazurkiewicz <andrzej(dot)mazurkiewicz(at)polkomtel(dot)com(dot)pl>
To: "'marten(at)feki(dot)toppoint(dot)de'" <marten(at)feki(dot)toppoint(dot)de>, sbirch(at)ironmountainsystems(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-novice(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Referencial integrity - Re: Is PostgreSQL ready for mission criti calapplications?
Date: 1999-11-24 10:29:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Not using reference integrity tools (triggers, constrains) is in log-term a
very dangerous practice.

- you cannot protect your data against by-passing your software simply with
psql;
- the more sophisticated scheme you use the more error prone it is; I am
very sceptical to solutions where somebody says my software is so excelent
that it does not need reference constrains on server basis and I had so many
problems with putting my software working with reference constrains that I
had to remove them. First question that I have is: does that guy really
understand referencial integrity introduced by his software.

Andrzej Mazurkiewicz