Re: PATCH: Update snowball stemmers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Arthur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PATCH: Update snowball stemmers
Date: 2018-07-06 16:37:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 06/26/2018 08:20 AM, Arthur Zakirov wrote:
>> I'd like to propose the patch which syncs PostgreSQL snowball stemmers.
>> As Tom pointed [1] stemmers haven't synced for a very long time.

> I agree with Tom that we should sync with the upstream before we do
> anything else. This is a very large patch but with fairly limited
> impact. I think now at the start of a dev cycle is the right time to
> apply it.

Agreed in principle. The thing that's actually a bit shaky here is
to decide what "upstream" to follow, given that the original maintainer
has retired and there doesn't seem to be active work going on.

> I don't know if we have a buildfarm animal testing Hungarian. Maybe we
> need a buildfarm animal or two testing a large number of locales.

I dunno that we need to set up a permanent buildfarm member for this.
I had been thinking in terms of testing every available locale on my
own machines before pushing, but given that the code is pretty static,
do we need to do that repetitively?