Re: PATCH: Update snowball stemmers

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Arthur Zakirov <a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PATCH: Update snowball stemmers
Date: 2018-07-06 11:52:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 06/26/2018 08:20 AM, Arthur Zakirov wrote:
> Hello hackers,
>
> I'd like to propose the patch which syncs PostgreSQL snowball stemmers.
> As Tom pointed [1] stemmers haven't synced for a very long time.
>
> I copied all source files without changes, except replacing '#include
> "../runtime/header.h"' with '#include "header.h"' and removing includes
> of standard headers from utilities.c.
>
> Hungarian language uses ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 charsets in Postgres HEAD.
> But in Snowball HEAD it is ISO-8859-2 per commit [2]. This patch changes
> hungarian's charset from ISO-8859-1 to ISO-8859-2 too.
>
> Additionally updated files in the patch are:
> - utilities.c
> - header.h
>
> Will add to the next commitfest.
>
> Any comments?
>
> 1 - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/5689.1519054983%40sss.pgh.pa.us
> 2 - https://github.com/snowballstem/snowball/commit/4bcae97db044253ea2edae1dd3ca59f3cddd4b9d

I agree with Tom that we should sync with the upstream before we do
anything else. This is a very large patch  but with fairly limited
impact. I think now at the start of a dev cycle is the right time to
apply it.

I don't know if we have a buildfarm animal testing Hungarian. Maybe we
need a buildfarm animal or two testing a large number of locales.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan https://www.2ndQuadrant.com