Re: Server crashing

From: Gourish Singbal <gourish(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Don Drake <dondrake(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server crashing
Date: 2005-04-11 15:15:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

by Truncating the serverlog do you mean the data_log (as in my case)
log file of the postgresql sever ?. If thats the file you truncated
than i think its not a good habit..since you might need it at some
point of time for some debugging purpose in production.

You could use something like assuming there is a dummy file of 0 bytes
in logs folder..

cp data_log data_log_$current_time
cat logs/dummy_file>data_log
gzip data_log_$current_time
mv data_log_$current_time.gz logs/data_log_$current_time.gz

Hope this helps

Best
Gourish Singbal

On Apr 11, 2005 7:54 PM, Don Drake <dondrake(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Well, a vacuum on the entire DB seemed to have cleaned things up.
>
> No other user was logged into the server, and I certainly did not send
> the signal.
>
> I did clean up the serverlog file by truncating it ( > serverlog)
> while the DB was running, I don't think it liked that since it crashed
> the DB. I've done this on my Linux server many times and it never
> complained. I won't be doing that again.
>
> -Don
>
> On Apr 11, 2005 1:29 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> > Don Drake <dondrake(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > > My server is crashing on a delete statement.
> > > Here's the error message in the log file:
> >
> > > LOG: 00000: received fast shutdown request
> > > LOCATION: pmdie, postmaster.c:1736
> >
> > That says that something sent the postmaster a SIGINT signal.
> > I think it's highly unlikely that the DELETE statement did it.
> >
> > regards, tom lane
> >

> --
> Donald Drake
> President