Re: Index only scans

From: Sharmila Jothirajah <sjothirajah(at)regenstrief(dot)org>
To: 'Shrish Purohit' <shrish_purohit(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Sharmila Jothirajah" <sjothirajah(at)regenstrief(dot)org>, Mahesh Nalkande <mahesh_nalkande(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>, Arvind Hulgeri <arvind_hulgeri(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>, Sameer Pendharkar <sameer_pendharkar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>, Cyril Colvard <ccolvard(at)regenstrief(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index only scans
Date: 2010-05-31 15:19:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Shrish,
I saw the excel that you sent to Heikki. Here are my comments.

1. Don't worry about comparing the results with Oracle. Just take pg-normal and pg-enhanced. That's what the community cares about. Later we can also add Oracle's performance.
2. In the excel sheet you have 'simple queries' and 'simple queries repeated'...you have to compile them together.
3. Also for pg-normal, the queries are run with seq scan and not forcing 'index scan' . If you compare that run with pg-enhanced it will definitely look bad. You have to compare pg-enh with pg-normal's indexscan (and also seq scan). That will give a complete picture.

These performance numbers that we sent them is very important. Make sure the excel is formatted and is very clear before your sent the numbers. Its hard to get the community to respond if our reports are not clear

Thanks
Sharmila