Index only scans

From: Shrish Purohit <shrish_purohit(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Sharmila Jothirajah <sjothirajah(at)regenstrief(dot)org>, Mahesh Nalkande <mahesh_nalkande(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>, Arvind Hulgeri <arvind_hulgeri(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>, Sameer Pendharkar <sameer_pendharkar(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in>
Subject: Index only scans
Date: 2010-05-31 15:09:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Heikki, Pgsql-Hackers,

Sometime back you have started with "Separate Heap Fetch from Index Scan" which was planned to support partial index only scans. Are you still working on it or do you know someone still working on it?

We did some development with Gokul's Index Only Patch and have got good performance numbers which are as follows:

Test table constitutes 0.5 billion records with thick index on (id,aid) on three machines {pg_normal , pg_enhanced( PGSQL with thick index feature ), Oracle} each having 16 Gb Ram. Disk I/O obtained using sar.

testdb=# \d test
Table "public.test"
Column | Type | Modifiers
-----------+------------------+-----------
id | integer |
startdate | date |
enddate | date |
charge | double precision |
firstname | text |
lastname | text |
aid | double precision |
bid | double precision |
"taid" THICK btree (id, aid) CLUSTER

Index size
On oracle 15.20 Gb
On Pg-normal 14.73 Gb
Pg_enhanced 23.17 Gb (16bytes*0.5billion = ~7.6 GB)

PFA excel sheet for details. In general we saw fair amount of performance improvement, but one thing that surprises us is that after around 20% tuples updated we found oracle taking more time.

Regards,
Shrish Purohit |Senior Software Engineer|Persistent Systems
shrish_purohit(at)persistent(dot)co(dot)in |Cell:+91-9850-959-940|Tel:+91(20)302-34493
Innovation in software product design, development and delivery- www.persistentsys.com

DISCLAIMER

Attachment Content-Type Size
Thick_index_perf_numbers.xlsx application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet 36.9 KB