Re: Functions to return random numbers in a given range

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Zhang <david(dot)zhang(at)highgo(dot)ca>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Functions to return random numbers in a given range
Date: 2024-02-24 17:10:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Dean,

I did a quick review and a little bit of testing on the patch today. I
think it's a good/useful idea, and I think the code is ready to go (the
code is certainly much cleaner than anything I'd written ...).

I do have one minor comments regarding the docs - it refers to "random
functions" in a couple places, which sounds to me as if it was talking
about some functions arbitrarily taken from some list, although it
clearly means "functions generating random numbers". (I realize this
might be just due to me not being native speaker.)

Did you think about adding more functions generating either other types
of data distributions (now we have uniform and normal), or random data
for other data types (I often need random strings, for example)?

Of course, I'm not saying this patch needs to do that. But perhaps it
might affect how we name stuff to make it "extensible".

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company