Re: Corrected documentation of data type for the logical replication message formats.

From: "Euler Taveira" <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Corrected documentation of data type for the logical replication message formats.
Date: 2021-05-09 13:23:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, May 9, 2021, at 9:37 AM, vignesh C wrote:
> For some of the logical replication messages the data type documented
> was not correct, especially for lsn and xid. For lsn actual datatype
> used is uint64 but is documented as int64, similarly for xid, datatype
> used is uint32 but documented as int32.
> Attached is a patch which has the fix for the same.
> Thoughts?
There was a discussion [1] a few months ago about it. Read the Message Data
Types definition [2]. It is confusing that an internal data type (int64) has a
name similar to a generic data type in a protocol definition. As I said [1] we
should probably inform that that piece of information (LSN) is a XLogRecPtr.
Since this chapter is intended for developers, I think it is fine to include
such internal detail.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAH503wBwC8A7DbDYUXRqW1ZAHKpj%2BD9bN7hcgszvP_1FzXbs_Q%40mail.gmail.com
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/protocol-message-types.html

--